Tuesday, April 26, 2022

A post-mortem look at 3DLinks

5/13/2022 Update: 3DLinks is back up! Though I'm still gonna try and archive as much as I can. It may not be around much longer.

So uh, yeah it's been a while. I've neglected to post on this blog for about uuuuuh 5 months now? Basically it's because I have higher priorities than this blog (such as ANOTHER blog, this one being on Neocities) and mostly just because I procrastinated posting here. I didn't forget about it, but when I would remember this I would tell myself "Oh right, I should probably post again. Eh, I'll do it later."

So, a quick run-down on the website in question: 3DLinks was a website which hosted numerous works of and resources for 3d modelers/artists such as tutorials, info, plugins, free and paid assets, and even a forum. This was accompanied by the aforementioned finished works of said artists. I say was however because between March 26th and March 31st of 2022 (according to the Internet Archive) the website has gone down and been replaced with an error 503 page.

The worst part about the site going down is that there may be lost content, either from long-inactive artists which have forgotten about the site to free assets that couldn't be found anywhere else. I haven't done much digging myself (yet), but when I do I'll edit this post with an update.

Anyways, onto the website design itself (as I've pretty much summed-up the entire site above). When you click a button on the sidebar, you are taken to the page of said category, however by hovering you mouse over a button, a menu expands showing all the sub-categories you can go to. As for the design of the site, I honestly like it. You can definitely tell it's a 2000s site, but I think it could still hold up rather well today if you changed the main color from deep depression grey, made the site fill the  screen to your aspect ratio, and maybe changed the boxes which house text such as  "featured artists" and "cool tools" (I'm sure there's a word for it but I can't think of it right now).

Anyways, why don't you see the site (of what's left of it) for yourself!

3DLinks Archive

The (former) homepage of 3DLinks as of March 26th 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel9oh7's (Online) Legacy

  It's about time I made another post. Anyway, I forget for what reason but I was browsing the internet one day when I came across this ...